Author Topic: DEVIALET  (Read 1719 times)

CDLehner

• Music Lover/Gear Enthusiast
  • Administrator
  • ESAC Rating: +1/-3
  • Remember When You Were Young...
    • View Profile
Re: DEVIALET
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
So...anyone want first-crack, at my practically-new 200?

$4k
C(D)hris

MAIN: AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > Mytek Brooklyn > Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2 > Adcom 565SE > PMC Twenty5-23s

Office:  AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > EE (Eastern Electric) MiniMax IA > Omega Super 3i??

ESAC goes dark 11/25/17. Thanks for participating!

spurrier sucks

• INIQUITY
  • ESAC Rating: +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
Maybe. Does it have HT bypass? Give me the negatives. You just not ready for a 1 box solution? Pm me if you wish or keep it here. Either way. I'm unsure about the "hifi" sound I've read about and you alluded too in the past.
Naim NAC N272>XPS DR(Powerline)>250DR(Powerline)>NACA5>Dynaudio Contour C20

John

CDLehner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
Maybe. Does it have HT bypass? Give me the negatives. You just not ready for a 1 box solution? Pm me if you wish or keep it here. Either way. I'm unsure about the "hifi" sound I've read about and you alluded too in the past.

I'll have to double-check...since it's not a concern for me; but I think it giggles, at HT Bypass...lol.

I believe ALL, or nearly all; of its' ports...are assignable. Don't need Phono; turn it into another line input, etc.

You might want to look, at this manual...regarding firmware update 8.1 (not sure if that is the latest) https://www.devialet.com/docs/manual-8-1.pdf

It mentions something called Intelligent Cinema Mode; so I'd have to assume...HT Bypass, is a BIG yes.

The "negatives"? Yeah...for me; I was just not ready, for a complete 1-box does all solution.

A) My position, on internal DACs; is clear! But B) I have nothing against IAs; I might even get (again), like a Luxman L-550/590AX II...or Marantz PM-11S3 or PM-10. But that's not the Devi.

I'd still have "source", in the AAM; and DAC...in the Mytek Brooklyn or Oppo Sonica. The Devi...and this is totally a me thing; is like HAL 9000, lol.

It just sits there...all slim and sleek; and does EVERYTHING for you. Yes...I found that unnerving; and to provide a kind of "disconnect", from the system/music.

But you understand; I'm admitting, to a total fallacy and neuroses...lol.  :o

And...I think that speaks, to this "HiFi" sound; some hang on it (I think I already covered this ground a bit. WTF does that even mean, anyway?)

Too "HiFi", means...I didn't get to futz with it enough; and feel like...the sound, the system...is a result, of something I've done.

I'm admitting it's my issue; but I'm not blaming it on the Devi...calling it "too HiFi".  ::)  Just I haven't given it the chance, to get past it.

If you think you can...or, like many (including our own, highly regarded Jax/Tom); revel in it. It's great-sounding, and full of a TON...of actually useful tech (like SAM; and constantly being upgraded).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:17:43 PM by CDLehner »
C(D)hris

MAIN: AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > Mytek Brooklyn > Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2 > Adcom 565SE > PMC Twenty5-23s

Office:  AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > EE (Eastern Electric) MiniMax IA > Omega Super 3i??

jaxwired

• Charter Member
  • ESAC Rating: +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
For anyone interested I can give my 2 cents here.  First of all, I know that you won't find a cleaner unit anywhere period short of brand new.  This unit Chris barely got out of the box.  It's as minty as it gets.  I happen to be a huge fan of devialet so I'm obviously biased but I'm also not someone that is inexperienced with what the hobby has to offer.  I've been an audiophile for decades and have owned so many different amps I can't remember them all (seriously).  The devi ticks all my boxes full stop.  It's gorgeous.  Yes, it eliminates the ability to custom build your dac, preamp, and amp, BUT it also is sleek as hell and eliminates a lot of ugly cable and clutter from your listening room  or living room.  Additionally, I'd argue that as technology goes it's the only real break through I've seen in more than a decade.  You may just love latest amp offering from your major players like ARC or Boulder or CJ or Constellation or Soulution or whatever, but I can pretty much guarantee that the latest generation from all those companies is merely a small tweaking of the same formula they've used for many years with no real dramatic breakthroughs.  They are evolutions of admittedly great designs but they are not new designs for high end audio.  Devialet is offering something entirely new and revolutionary.  They back this up with the measured performance numbers as well as more glowing reviews from major publications than I've ever seen on any product in my audiophile memory.  Additionally, they offer the shortest path argument to high fidelity.  All in one box means way less signal degradation and their DAC is as close to the output as current engineering allows.  But all that means nothing unless the sound is amazing.  It is.  I have never had the urge to box swap so thoroughly relent as when I purchased my devialet D400.  The sound is at once sumptuous AND highly revealing.   I positively love the way my PMC fact 12s sound driven by the devialet amps.  They allow me to become entirely focused on the music without the constant over analyzing of the equipment.  Lastly, I will say that they are at their current beaten down prices an absolute steal.  To compete with the D200 that Chris is selling I would expect to spend $8k or more in equipment (at discount prices) and I would still consider it unlikely the sound quality would be truly competitive.  But again, I'm a fan....
Auralic Aries Mini => Devialet 400 => PMC Fact 12

-Tom

CDLehner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
Thanks Tom.

In the spirit, of true transparency; I did ask Tom if he would comment.

I didn't tell him what to say...or coach him; or ask him to shill in any way.

It didn't resonate with me. I've always found the ads, that are brutally honest; to be a bit hysterical.

"I didn't like this. The amp I have, that cost half as much...sounded better to me. So here...you buy it", lol  ;D

That being said...I'm not into promoting dishonesty (and I think my 408 - 100% feedback will bare that out); but that's not the Devi. I just wanted you to get a take, from a guy we know, respect; and with whom...this product, does resonate.
C(D)hris