Author Topic: Backert Labs  (Read 679 times)

no quarter

• Charter Member
  • ESAC Rating: +13/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Backert Labs
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
Good stuff Chris,I have yet to hear MQA,I received word today that my Naim Core has arrived,so I am picking it,my old 250 dr,and a loaner Hugo 1 up tomorrow.Speakers should be here next week sometime,there is a guy on the Dyn thread that just received his Special 40's,he lives down under.My Hugo 2 will not be here for 3-4 weeks,but the 1 should give me a good idea of what to expect,when fed from the Core(SPDIF)...DEMO TIME everywhere!
Tony

Johnny Rotten

• ESAC Rating: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 10:28:54 PM »
I fooled around with a few Tidal master albums, Even when played with a non MQA DAC they show up as 192khz on the DAC. IMO the sound was better then playing the same album in 44khz. I have yet to hear a true MQA through a proper DAC. I'm definitely interested to know how much better the masters are through an MQA DAC, I believe I seen somewhere that Tidal is converting MQA to regular PCM for a standard DAC (if that makes any sense  :P). I wish the Hugo did MQA! I feel I'm missing out on something here.  :'( lol
2ch - Micromega PA-20 PRE and PW-400 Power AMP, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Chord HUGO DAC, Denon 1930CI- DVD/ SACD player, Project Elemental Turntable. OTG setup - Ipad mini 3, CHORD MOJO, Sennheiser Momentum = Johnny

Johnny Rotten

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
The more I think about it, it didn't show up as 192khz it was playing at 96khz with a non MQA Dac. None the less it sounded great. I believe I played "Hail to the king - Avenged Sevenfold" to rock out and a few others I can't quite remember.
2ch - Micromega PA-20 PRE and PW-400 Power AMP, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Chord HUGO DAC, Denon 1930CI- DVD/ SACD player, Project Elemental Turntable. OTG setup - Ipad mini 3, CHORD MOJO, Sennheiser Momentum = Johnny

cisco

• Charter Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
Nice review Chris.   thumbsup  Can't wait when you put the Bryston 2.5 in the mix.

btw...Did buy a pair of 2.5's or just using one?
McIntosh C47/MC152
McIntosh MDA1K DAC
Sonos/W4S Remedy
PMC Twenty5 23's
WW/Kimber Kable
Monster Power Conditioner HTS 3600 MKII

CDLehner

• Music Lover/Gear Enthusiast
  • Administrator
  • ESAC Rating: +1/-3
  • Remember When You Were Young...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »
The more I think about it, it didn't show up as 192khz it was playing at 96khz with a non MQA Dac. None the less it sounded great. I believe I played "Hail to the king - Avenged Sevenfold" to rock out and a few others I can't quite remember.

Not all Masters, are 192. Some are 96, 88.1; 48...some are 24/44.1. And a few, are 384!
C(D)hris

MAIN: AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > Mytek Brooklyn > Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2 > Adcom 565SE > PMC Twenty5-23s

Office:  AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > EE (Eastern Electric) MiniMax IA > Omega Super 3i??

CDLehner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
Nice review Chris.   thumbsup  Can't wait when you put the Bryston 2.5 in the mix.

btw...Did buy a pair of 2.5's or just using one?

The plan was to run a pair; but my dealer, could only swing one...and while I was waiting for the other (which was weeks; 6-8 maybe...or better), I changed course.

I either decided 1 should get the job done, or that the 2.5B3...just wasn't going to stick for me (I got pretty jazzed, about that Adcom...that came up on the blocks!)

That's next BTW; should log some time with it, and have a write-up this weekend  thumbsup
C(D)hris

MAIN: AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > Mytek Brooklyn > Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2 > Adcom 565SE > PMC Twenty5-23s

Office:  AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > EE (Eastern Electric) MiniMax IA > Omega Super 3i??

Johnny Rotten

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »

Not all Masters, are 192. Some are 96, 88.1; 48...some are 24/44.1. And a few, are 384!
I did read that with out an MQA Dac your limited to 96khz.

CDLehner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
OK; so here's the official rotation...

Queen Sheer Heart Attack
PRINCE Purple Rain (24/192 Extended)
Radiohead OK Computer (OKNOTOK)
Anything from Van Morrison, I damn well please!  ;)

I'm going to add...

Paul Simon Graceland (25th Anniversary)
and check out Bibio Silver Wilkinson, if I can find it.
C(D)hris

CDLehner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 07:46:05 PM »
So...I guess lost in most of this; because I'm talking about, the R-300s and 25-23s...and mAmps, and 565SE. Is the Backert!

Well...I think, it's what's making everything else; sound so damn good!  thumbsup

It's a "stay-er". Wow; streamer, DAC...and now pre, all settled. What ever, shall I do...lol  :P
C(D)hris

spurrier sucks

• INIQUITY
  • ESAC Rating: +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
So...I guess lost in most of this; because I'm talking about, the R-300s and 25-23s...and mAmps, and 565SE. Is the Backert!

Well...I think, it's what's making everything else; sound so damn good!  thumbsup

It's a "stay-er". Wow; streamer, DAC...and now pre, all settled. What ever, shall I do...lol  :P
I'll believe this in 6 months or so. Streamer and DAC sure. Pre and amps? Come on! We know better.  :P
What amps you leaning toward right now? PMC still a keeper? I'll be interested in how the PMC compare to the S40.
Naim NAC N272>XPS DR(Powerline)>250DR(Powerline)>NACA5>Dynaudio Contour C20

John

no quarter

• Charter Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 08:01:30 PM »
I am with John on this...believe it when I see it,done swapping,yeah right.But I will agree with you that a good pre amp is where you get that special sound from.
Tony

CDLehner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »
I'll believe this in 6 months or so. Streamer and DAC sure. Pre and amps? Come on! We know better.  :P
What amps you leaning toward right now? PMC still a keeper? I'll be interested in how the PMC compare to the S40.

I am with John on this...believe it when I see it,done swapping,yeah right.But I will agree with you that a good pre amp is where you get that special sound from.

I get it; I've earned that. But I'd take your bet...lol  ;)  thumbsup (would upgrading, to the Rhythm count?)

Yes; both are good. I don't re-buy, "bad" kit...and I've owned them both before. But it looks like, the mAmps and R-300s (and it's a helluva pairing too); will be moving on.
C(D)hris

no quarter

• Charter Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »
Wait a minute,I don't remember a review of the Bryston or Adcom yet???
Tony

spurrier sucks

• INIQUITY
  • ESAC Rating: +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:47 PM »

I get it; I've earned that. But I'd take your bet...lol  ;)  thumbsup (would upgrading, to the Rhythm count?)

Yes; both are good. I don't re-buy, "bad" kit...and I've owned them both before. But it looks like, the mAmps and R-300s (and it's a helluva pairing too); will be moving on.

Just giving you shit. lol. Kind of shocked about the W4S moving on. A bit disappointed too. I was hoping the little guy would get the CD approval. That said my IA I had I thought it sounded. But weak and cold compared to the Naim that replaced it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:28:08 AM by CDLehner »
Naim NAC N272>XPS DR(Powerline)>250DR(Powerline)>NACA5>Dynaudio Contour C20

John

CDLehner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
Wait a minute,I don't remember a review of the Bryston or Adcom yet???

Sorry. I sent a little blurb to Jax/Tom; thought I posted it.

The mAmps are impressive; dead-on accurate. But...a little lifeless, and dare I say "sterile"...against the Adcom. Plus...the Adcom seemed to throw a w i d e r soundstage.

Haven't tried or reviewed, the Bryston yet (of course I mean, again; and with the Rhumba 1.2)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:17:39 PM by CDLehner »
C(D)hris