Author Topic: CD's Final Pick  (Read 155 times)

postrokfan

• INIQUITY
  • ESAC Rating: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: CD's Final Pick
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »
Chris, it's pretty clear that you are a huge fan. I'm obsessed with a few bands myself. ;) I'm the same way in that I MUST have everything they recorded lol. Unfortunately, Buckley wasn't given the luxury of a bit of time to release that much material.

Hope I didn't offend by not going "ga-ga" over this pick or implying that I didn't like it. And, I'm pretty familiar with how an intimate small show is different from your typical concert. I actually appreciate some banter myself. Makes it seems like the artist is more engaged (as they would be with a pretty small audience). With the first night it just seemed like the banter to performance ratio was a bit skewed. ;) Second set flowed a lot more naturally.

Still go to live shows but not nearly much as in the past. For most national/international acts we have to drive 60 mi to Denver or 35 mi to Boulder.
Room 1 (Living room): B&W 804D2 L/R, ASW610, Rotel RC-1570, Rotel RB-1582 mkii, Yamaha RX-A2030, Oppo BDP-93, ATV
Room 2 (office): KEF LS50s, ASW608, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Marantz CD5004, Rega RP1, BlueSound Node 2

CDLehner

• Music Lover/Gear Enthusiast
  • Administrator
  • ESAC Rating: +1/-3
  • Remember When You Were Young...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
Chris, it's pretty clear that you are a huge fan. I'm obsessed with a few bands myself. ;) I'm the same way in that I MUST have everything they recorded lol. Unfortunately, Buckley wasn't given the luxury of a bit of time to release that much material.

Hope I didn't offend by not going "ga-ga" over this pick or implying that I didn't like it. And, I'm pretty familiar with how an intimate small show is different from your typical concert. I actually appreciate some banter myself. Makes it seems like the artist is more engaged (as they would be with a pretty small audience). With the first night it just seemed like the banter to performance ratio was a bit skewed. ;) Second set flowed a lot more naturally.

Still go to live shows but not nearly much as in the past. For most national/international acts we have to drive 60 mi to Denver or 35 mi to Boulder.

No, no, no Dan; this wasn't directed at you. My "defense", more addressed a larger circle of people...critics...who bash. JB could make a "perfect" album; to some...he nearly did, in Grace.

Yes...as a fan; I LOVE this live document. Tony...would you like a soundboard boot; where Zep was just starting out, and stripped down...working out material, in some club? Maybe that's a bad example, as the singer-songwriter genre, lends itself to this kind of thing...moreso than the foremost Heavy Metal band of our time; but I think you get my point.

FTR...I would never, attack or get defensive; about someone here, not digging a pick. That kinda shit happens  :P

Again...this was more, about some of the knocks on Jeff and this release; than how you found it. I think your observations, were perfectly valid; from someone, who's not a super-fan  thumbsup
** Please Note - ESAC.club, will now remain online until...8/25/2017 :)

C(D)hris

Stream -    Auralic Aries Mini
DAC -        Mytek Brooklyn
Pre -          ? ? ?
Power -      Adcom 565SE/Bryston 2.5B3
Speakers -  KEF R-300s

no quarter

• Charter Member
  • ESAC Rating: +13/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 12:48:22 AM »
Chris,I decided to finally tackle this one,I am at work listening through my I-pad into my Chord Hugo,and ...unfortunately only my Sennheiser Momentums,no utopia's yet.Either way,HOLY SHIT that boy could sing,Be your Husband just blew me away,fantastic first song,like you say very intimate feel to it,this one might take me a few days to get through,but I am quite excited to hear the rest. thumbsup
Tony

no quarter

• Charter Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 02:19:30 AM »
Well I ended up listening to the first 18 tracks,couldn't stop,lol.As I was listening to the album I read thru all of yours and Dan's comments,and Chris,you basically hit the nail on the head with all of what you say,he truly has the voice of an angel,and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.The live "you are there" feel is what I mostly look for in music I listen to now,I find that now that I have a good system,live is much more enjoyable to me.When I had mid-fi set-ups,I avoided live albums,because I always thought they sounded like shit,not any more.It could of also been the fact that I listened through headphones,that added to the intimate feel I got,don't know,but it was sweet.The first and last tracks(of the 18 so far) stood out to me,where he shines,is when he is wailing,or letting it ALL out,truly captivating...I found myself getting goosebumps,and emotional,really digging it in those moments.If Jeff were still alive,he would be a year younger than me,so essentially we grew up in the same era,and I recognize the influence of the times on the music he plays(covers),hell,my sister was a HUGE Donny Osmand fan,so The Twelfth of Never brought back memories,lol.I also loved The Zep cover,The Doors,Dylan,just fantastic stuff.Looking forward to the second half,should be fun!
Tony

CDLehner

• Music Lover/Gear Enthusiast
  • Administrator
  • ESAC Rating: +1/-3
  • Remember When You Were Young...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Well I ended up listening to the first 18 tracks,couldn't stop,lol.As I was listening to the album I read thru all of yours and Dan's comments,and Chris,you basically hit the nail on the head with all of what you say,he truly has the voice of an angel,and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.The live "you are there" feel is what I mostly look for in music I listen to now,I find that now that I have a good system,live is much more enjoyable to me.When I had mid-fi set-ups,I avoided live albums,because I always thought they sounded like shit,not any more.It could of also been the fact that I listened through headphones,that added to the intimate feel I got,don't know,but it was sweet.The first and last tracks(of the 18 so far) stood out to me,where he shines,is when he is wailing,or letting it ALL out,truly captivating...I found myself getting goosebumps,and emotional,really digging it in those moments.If Jeff were still alive,he would be a year younger than me,so essentially we grew up in the same era,and I recognize the influence of the times on the music he plays(covers),hell,my sister was a HUGE Donny Osmand fan,so The Twelfth of Never brought back memories,lol.I also loved The Zep cover,The Doors,Dylan,just fantastic stuff.Looking forward to the second half,should be fun!

Tony; that's awesome! Not because it's like validation, that you like my pick; but I really feel like I turned someone on to something special.

Your experience, is similar to mine. It would have been, '2000; and I was in the UK (Windsor), working for about 2 months. Because of my extended stay...the hotel I was staying at, put me up in a suite. They had just bought these condos, right around the corner...for extended stay; but I was the first to be a guest. So they gave me the whole top floor, which was like a Penthouse!

I had my Discman, of course! LOL...and I was reading a mag, I had gotten to pass time on the plane. It had a review, of Mystery White Boy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_White_Boy

I had never heard, of this Jeff Buckley fellow; but the guy carried on, about his voice...and live performances, and his debut, Grace. I was intrigued; and the next day, I went to Tower Records (ah...remember them? And Tower in London no less!) and picked-up MWB.

I didn't listen right away; I was intrigued...but wasn't expecting, this guy to be like some great artist. I mean, after all...I'd never heard of him, lol  ;)

One night...I couldn't sleep, and decided to put on the Discman and phones. MWB isn't Sin-e...but the experience to yours, was similar. I was mesmerized, from Dream Brother; by this guy's voice and passion. I couldn't stop listening; and it was like 3 o'clock in the morning.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:35:41 AM by CDLehner »
** Please Note - ESAC.club, will now remain online until...8/25/2017 :)

C(D)hris

Stream -    Auralic Aries Mini
DAC -        Mytek Brooklyn
Pre -          ? ? ?
Power -      Adcom 565SE/Bryston 2.5B3
Speakers -  KEF R-300s

no quarter

• Charter Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
Just starting track 19, we will see if I can make it through thumbsup...love me some Nusrat!
Tony

no quarter

• Charter Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 01:05:14 AM »
I made it through to the end,and what an end it was,probably the most popular song on the album,for good reason though,I LOVE his version of Hallelujah.I want to give it another spin at home through speakers this time.You guys both seem to prefer the second half,I am not sure yet,still soaking it all in.It might be that it is soooo loooong,that my mind started to drift a bit towards the end,but I did not feel as mesmerized as last night(first 18 songs).As you mentioned in your write up Chris,these intimate JAM sessions are really the blood and guts of a miusician,I think they ALL started out in similar settings,then someone important happened to be there,pulled the right strings,and new artists are born.There is a DVD I own,of ZEP,and there is footage of them playing in a high school gymnasium that I just LOVE,raw,uncut,and fucking unbelievable(Plant was 19)...just like this album,awesome pick. thumbsup
Tony