Author Topic: Sonic Youth - Dirty  (Read 108 times)

postrokfan

• INIQUITY
  • ESAC Rating: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Sonic Youth - Dirty
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »

I thought of this one since the discussion of great nineties albums came up recently. Hard to choose between this one and Goo but I suppose Dirty resonates for me a bit more since I saw them on the tour for this album during my senior year of HS. It was a bit of commercial success as well when this came out in 1992 since the industry was heartily embracing "alternative music" during this time. Huge fan of SY and I had the chance to see them live more than any of my other favorite bands.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:39:00 AM by CDLehner »
1980's Boom-box with cassette deck.

CDLehner

• Music Lover/Gear Enthusiast
  • Administrator
  • ESAC Rating: +1/-3
  • Remember When You Were Young...
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Youth-Dirty
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
First...I'm glad to see someone (else), put up some titles; and...keep their head about them, and use B.O.T.R. That's what it's there for!

Second...yes; when I first saw 'Sonic Youth', I wholly expected it to be followed with 'Goo'. But I remember liking Dirty a lot as well.

I have to admit; as a musicologist...Sonic Youth was one of those bands, I knew I was supposed to like; and of course I respect the work, and they have their songs. But I never found an album, that was like...repeat, repeat, repeat; not even, the supposedly all-time great, Daydream Nation.

But...seeing as they were consecutively released (Daydream, Goo, Dirty; that's some run); I think a fresh listen, of all 3, is in order.

http://www.esac.club/index.php?topic=419.0

Nice Dan  thumbsup

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:40:38 AM by CDLehner »
C(D)hris

MAIN: AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > Mytek Brooklyn > Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2 > Adcom 565SE > PMC Twenty5-23s

Office:  AAM (Auralic Aries Mini) > EE (Eastern Electric) MiniMax IA > Omega Super 3i??

ESAC goes dark 11/25/17. Thanks for participating!

postrokfan

• INIQUITY
  • ESAC Rating: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Youth - Dirty
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
Nice! That's a hell of a trio of albums. Daydream Nation is a noise/art rock masterpiece IMHO.The 14 minute Trilogy is one of my favorite songs from SY.
1980's Boom-box with cassette deck.